.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

 

Problems & Solutions

I have a saying of my own: Today's solution is tomorrow's problem.

I am old enough to have seen the cycle in politics, business, any aspect of society. There is a problem, someone proposes a solution. That solution presents its own problem. Another solution is required which in turn presents a new problem. It's cyclic, sometimes like a pendulum. We continue going problem-solution-problem-solution on and on. A new generation comes into power, they haven't experienced the problem created by their solution but an older generation has—and who wants to listen to them.

I am not going to propose a solution to this problem, not a society-wide one anyway. When I was a young man I was fortunate that there were several older people in my life who acted as mentors. One of them once said to this young revolutionary, 'You can't change the world. You can only change yourself.'

I took that on board and that is what I have been working on ever sense. And so I sit in my relative stability watching the pendulum of our modern society. What is it that gives me my stability? I take refuge in the Four Noble Truths. It works for me. Maybe it will for you. Maybe it won't.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?