.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Who do you admire

Here is one of the classes I teach under my house. As you can see, this class is 100% male and predominantly monks. There are a couple of teenage girls who come to one of the other classes but I certainly find my classes now attract more young men. When I was teaching at Wat Xam I found the male students were more serious about their studies. Not sure if that is why it is happening this way here.

I taught one or two of these students at Wat Xam but the monks here come from monasteries that are closer to my home.

I asked these guys to start the lesson by introducing themselves and naming someone they admired. Most named local figures—the prime minister, the leader of the opposition, the ex king, Cambodia's head monk. One named Taksin Shinawatra, the Thai Prime Minister, who might not be quite so popular in his own country at the moment. Only one named a woman, Princess Diana. The only other international names I can recall were George Washington and the Dalai Lama.

These students are quite keen and we have an enjoyable hour together each week discussing articles on subjects that might have something to offer them apart from English language.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?