.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 04, 2006

 

Celebrating the orchids

There were many things I enjoyed in Cambodia. But one thing I missed was flowers.

It is not that you don't see any flowers in Cambodia but considering it is right next to Thailand and has a very similar climate it is surprising how few flowers there are compared to Thailand. I was lucky that Sarun, my landlord, enjoyed keeping a garden. There were always some plants in flower in my yard. But generally in Cambodia flowers are not all that common. And I can't remember ever seeing an orchid.

Now I am back in Thailand and there are orchids everywhere—all different shapes, sizes and colours. One day, in Mahasarakham, I went to lunch with a friend. After lunch Jonlee was dropping me off at the university to visit some other friends. She pulled in at a roadside stall to buy an orchid plant as a housewarming gift. I was so impressed by the range and variety of orchids on this one stall that I returned to photograph them after my visit to the university.

Since then I have continued to photograph Thai orchids and other flowers in my travels. Many have been added already to my flora page (see sidebar) and I will continue to add more. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?