.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 15, 2007

 

Beautiful Hangzhou

Marco Polo was obviously impressed by Hangzhou he called it 'the most beautiful and splendid city in the world.' Has Hangzhou kept this reputation over the years? Well, the Chinese, or perhaps the Hangzhouians, more modestly claim it as 'the most beautiful city in China'. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I feel sure that Walt Disney would have been impressed. As a photographer, I found Hangzhou to be extremely photogenic. Traditional Chinese design is indeed charming and it wasn't difficult to keep elevators and other modern touches out of my pictures.

Hangzhou is certainly a popular tourist destination for Chinese people. The first week in October is a week-long national holiday. By then the weather should be cooler than I have experienced for most of my seven-week stay. I'm told that Hangzhou people mostly stay indoors that week because visitors to West Lake number between 100,000 and 200,000 each day.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?