.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, October 13, 2007

 

Back to Cambodia

Today I flew from Bangkok to Phnom Penh. Unfortunately I didn't have a window seat. I could see the flooded river below. Wow! There was more water below us than land. It is really amazing to see it from the sky having seen it so many times from ground level.

I would like to have got a photo but while I had my camera, unfortunately I didn't have a window seat. The guy who did, didn't appreciate it. He was too engrossed in his book. I wonder how many times he's seen it. Wouldn't make any difference to me. For nine months I made a weekly bus trip through this territory and I never tired of the ever-changing view.

Vana, a friend from Kompong Chhnang is now working in Phnom Penh. He is staying in a house in the suburbs with his boss who is a Frenchman. So, for the moment I am staying in that house.

Cambodia is delightfully undeveloped. Even in the capital, once you get off the main roads the streets are dirt with pools of water. Guess it'll be dusty when the rainy season is over. Here's the street where I'm staying. I'm in the last of that row of four houses. Pretty luxurious for Cambodia. It has running water but only cold, western style toilets, in fact each bedroom has a bathroom.

People here are delightfully friendly. We were travelling into town in a tuk-tuk similar to this one. As we overtook them I pointed my camera and just look at the smiles I got.

Tomorrow we are planning a day trip to Kompong Chhnang, the town where I was living last year. No one knows I'm coming so it will be fun to see the looks on the faces when they see me.

If you'd like to see some of the other photos I took on the way into town, just click the exotic transport link in the sidebar.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?